Friday, March 5, 2010

Tomatillo and Shrimp Enchiladas.....

Okay. I have been a baaaaaaaaaaaaadddd blogger in 2010. (It's been almost 2 months since my last post----what a shame!!!) However, I have a yummy, kid-friendly recipe I would love to share.....

Tomatillo and Shrimp Enchiladas

1 jar tomatillo salsa (approximately 16 oz. or so)
1.5 lb fresh raw shrimp, deveined and tail removed--cut in half (not butterflied)
1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
2 T of olive oil
1 medium purple onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup frozen corn
12 corn tortillas
3 T of half-and half
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I had sharp cheddar on hand, so I used that)
1/4 cup water
1 t chili powder
1/2 t cumin

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper, cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp, cook an additional 3 minutes, until shrimp is opaque. Stir in corn, water, chili powder and cumin. Heat through.
2. Heat oven to 375. Coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (I use olive oil or coconut oil).
3. Wrap four tortillas in damp paper towels. Microwave 30 seconds. Brush one side of each tortilla with salsa. Spoon 1/2 cup shrimp mixture on each. Roll up and place seam-side down in prepared dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Top with any extra filling.
4. Mix remaining salsa with half-and-half. Spoon over enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 375, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until bubbly.

Weiss LOVED this dish, so it will be repeated in the future!

It may look complicated at first glance, but was really super QUICK to cook and assemble, not to mention quite tasty! For those of you who are more health conscious, I was able to find all of these products in an organic version at my local HEB this time, but they are somewhat inconsistent with their produce at times. (We try to eat organic produce/food when it is available, avoid GMOs, and highly avoid any dairy product(s) with rBGH.) I also had some cilantro on hand, so I topped the enchiladas with that....

I enjoy posting recipes because I always know where to find them if I misplace them!!!!

No comments: