Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Potty Training is 90% Complete...


Since my last post, Weiss, Logan and I have been focusing on his potty training. He is in "big boy pants" most of the day, and he stays dry during naps and at night. (Even then, I am still paranoid and put a Pull-Up on him; I really don't want to add "change and wash sheets" on my to-do list...) And we had a "motivating moment" last week on the potty training circuit....

Last Thursday, Hannah and I took all three kiddos to the Dell Austin Children's Museum. We had a great time; Hannah and I are both still partial to the New Braunfels McKenna Children's Museum, however.... There was lots for kids to do (the target age was more like 5, 6, or 7) and LOTS of kids.... WHOA.

After the visit, we took the kids to eat at Which Wich? downtown, about 2 blocks away from the museum. The kiddos seemed to enjoy it. Weiss and I made a run to Target before he was to get a haircut. And, as always, I found more in Target than I was anticipating....

Weiss kept asking to go down the toy aisle. I obliged, of course. (I feel like he has to go down every non-toy aisle in Target for me to browse; why not let him have a few aisles of his own?) There was a toy--more like an obsession--the Sesame Street house, exclusively for Target, by Fisher-Price, complete with the Sesame Street character figurines to play with. I thought I would get it for Christmas; I like to shop early. I figured I could put it in the basket, take it home and stick it in the closet. He would just forget about it. WRONG.

We returned after a haircut for Weiss to Marble Falls. I picked Logan up from work and we met Dickey, Cinda, and Logan's godparents, the Davenports (who were in from Dallas) at Real New Orleans Restaurant. Weiss began to ask for his "Sesame Street House" when we got out of the car. No---it was more like PLEADING for his Sesame Street house.....

To make a long story short, for several days, he pleaded for his Sesame Street house. BEGGED. OBSESSED.

Logan and I finally decided it would be a good potty training reward. Christmas (or his birthday--whichever gift-giving occasion we chose) was too far away to hear all of this.... So I told him Elmo and Big Bird cry when he doesn't go in the potty. So everytime Weiss had an accident, he would say in the saddest tone, "Elmo and Big Bird cry...."

However, he is doing GREAT now. He has had just a few accidents, and he is getting better about telling you when he needs to go potty instead of forcing him to go. So last week, he had a great day and was a great, obedient kiddo. He earned his "Sesame Street House." And he is still OBSESSED with it; he continually plays with it and asks us to play with him. It's so fun because he's just now getting into imaginative play....

So now, Weiss watches Sesame Street while he plays with his Sesame Street House in his Sesame Street pajamas, drinking Sesame Street Earth's Best Organics juice. AAAHHHHH! (At least they're cute characters....)

No comments: