Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Did a Very Bad, Bad Thing......

Let's start this blog post off on a positive note, shall we? Easter Sunday was great; we had church followed by pictures outside, dinner with Logan's parents at our house, and a relaxing afternoon.... I had lots of homework to finish up on, and so Logan had an Easter egg hunt for Weiss in the backyard late Sunday afternoon. It was a great day. HE IS RISEN!!!

If you're wondering what the "very bad thing" is that I did, well, here goes.....

Some of you may know Weiss has--HAD--two betas, appropriately named "Pink Fish" and "Red Fish." They lived in a small tank, side by side, with a small divider in the middle so they wouldn't maul each other to death... Anyway, he was proud of those fish, and we did have some adventures with them.

I have cleaned out the tank before, and last time I used bottled water, at room temperature. However, I have read you can refill the tank with room temperature tap water, so long as it has sat out overnight to "dechlorinate" or whatever it does so it's okay to go in the tank....

This time, I figured I would save a buck or two by trying the tap water method. I even let the tap water set out TWO nights just to be safe.... I rinsed the tank and rocks off with Ms. Meyer's Clean Day products, which are non-toxic... (And even if they had been toxic, I really rinsed the rocks and tank out well...)

So I put the fish back in the spic and span tank on Saturday. They looked to be doing just fine, thank you.... However, on Monday (yesterday), I noticed Pink Fish wasn't moving.... We had already lost him....

Red Fish was struggling with his little gills to breathe....

So what do you do?!?! Do you flush a dying fish--a traumatic end to life--or let him die in his tank? I couldn't do anything because Weiss was wondering what was going on... (The fish tank sets up high so he can't carry it around...He couldn't see what was happening, but he knew something was up...) So I had to just leave Red Fish there when we ran our errands. He was gone by the time we got back.

I know this is pretty funny when you read it, but I really do feel bad for accidentally "doing in" Weiss's fish.... I don't exactly know if I should just replace the betas... I know he'll know the difference, or not. I certainly don't want to "do in" the next fish, so I'm going to stick to the bottled water this next time... I do know betas are a hardy fish and don't die very easily, so I guess I shouldn't ever try any rare, exotic fish.

We just need to stick to guppies and betas. So here's to Red Fish and Pink Fish...

1 comment:

Katie K said...

It's pretty amazing that the betas lived that long anyway! But I am sure Weiss will love the new fish just as much. Maybe you could name the next ones "Blue Fish" and "Two Fish."