Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Recipe Post...Sweet Potato Chili

Okay, Katie K! This is for you. (Well, it's for me, too, so I don't lose the paper copy.......) And yes, it is very good if you like sweet potatoes and some spice. It came from a "friend of a friend", but the recipe's creator is Joe Russo of Whole Foods. It's low-calorie, high protein and YUMMY!!!! I also put in the substitutions I used. And, as with any soup/stew/chili, it's better on the second day. So if you've got company coming or just want it to be REALLY good, start it early and let it simmer on low for several hours!

Sweet Potato Chili

--1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO, for you Rachel Ray fans!)
--1 medium onion, chopped
--1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped 
(NOTE: I subbed in a package of Nature Ripe Cherub tomatoes cut in half because I didn't have a red bell pepper. It was really good, as well.)
--1 large clove of garlic, minced (or 3/4 tablespoon)
--1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breast, chopped 
(NOTE: Sherri used and suggested I try chopping a rotisserie chicken into the chili instead; I cut up the whole thing, sans skin, and it was great!!!)
--1 (15 oz.) can of cannellini beans, drained 
(NOTE: it really could have used 2 cans, I think. These are white kidney beans.)
--1 cup chicken stock
--2 1/2 cups cold water 
(NOTE: I used 3 1/2 cups of chicken stock total, and no water. Logan and I are all about the
flavor, baby!)
--2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
--1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced, or 2 ounces of canned, diced green chilies
(NOTE: we used the jalapeno)
--2 teaspoons crushed red chili flakes 
(NOTE: I left the chili flakes out because of the toddlers (Sophia and Weiss) eating the meal, and it still had a "kick." But if you want extra heat, keep this ingredient in....)
--1 teaspoon cumin
--2 teaspoons chili powder
--1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
--1 bunch of scallions, mnced
--sour cream (for topping) 
--fresh cilantro (for topping)

In a large pot, heat the EVOO over medium heat, and saute the onion, red pepper, and garlic until firm-tender. 

Add the chicken breast and saute for 2 minutes, until opaque. Add the beans, stock, water, potatoes, red chili flakes, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper and chilies. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat, ands immer uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Garnish with the chopped scallions. Top the chili with a dollop of sour cream and some cilantro, if desired.

NUTRITION: (Per 1 cup serving)-----170 calories (25 from fat), 13g protein, 24g carbs, 2.5 total fat, (.05 saturated fat), 25 mg colest., 110 mg sodium, 15% DV calories from fat 

2 comments:

Katie K said...

Ha! Before I read your blog, I went online and googled it b/c I could not stop thinking about it! The recipe I found was almost exactly alike except it used 2 chipotle peppers instead of jalapeno. I think we are making this tonight!

Courtney said...

YUMMM!!! Chipotle would be even better!!!!!