Friday, March 13, 2009

What I'm Reading.....

This is the book I just finished reading and it's great. I couldn't put it down and would find myself going to bed earlier and staying up super late (I wouldn't even get tired when reading!). What made me choose this book is that I've seen so many people reading it over the past year or so, and I was curious. It is extremely well researched and the characters are well-developed. It's the story of young veterinary student, who for reasons in the story, leaves Cornell veterninary school and ends up working for the Benzini Brothers Circus before the Great Depression. The story flashes back between Jacob as a 93 year old man in a nursing home/assisted living and as a young, naiive man with a wonderful story plot surrounding him. The research author Sara Gruen is evident within this book; the "circus jargon" (yes, it's like a whole other language), the oddities of yesteryear's traveling circuses, the plethora of animals, and the drama that unfolds around young Jacob.....It is wonderful and highly suggested! 

No comments: